Revision: May 24th, 2018
Why does Remarkbox collect personal data?
Remarkbox collects and stores personal data in order to offer a functional comment service and user experience.
What type of personal data does Remarkbox collect?
Remarkbox aims to collect the least amount of data possible while still providing value to both our Commenters (Users) and Customers (Namespace Owners).
What we collect is determined by the type of interaction you have with Remarkbox.
Commenter: Data Collection
Remarkbox may collect the following information from a User ("Commenter"):
- Email address: this is used to verify and activate your account by sending one-time-password (OPT) links. Additionally you may opt-in to email notifications of new remarks.
- IP address: your public IP address is stored in our audit and monitoring systems. Additionally we use your IP address to protect and throttle our service against abuse like spam or denial-of-service. Access to your IP address is limited to Remarkbox operations.
Customer: Data Collection
Remarkbox may collect the following information from a Namespace Owner ("Customer"):
- Email address: this is used to verify and activate your account by sending one-time-password (OPT) links. Additionally you may opt-in to email notifications of new remarks. We also use this email address to provide white glove support and billing correspondence, for example invoices or payment receipts.
- IP address: your public IP address is stored in our logging system as part of our audit and monitoring systems. Additionally we use your IP address to throttle and protect our service against abuse like denial-of-service or spam.
- Stripe Id: Remarkbox securely stores your payment preferences (credit or debit card) with a 3rd party, PCI compliant payment processesor (Stripe). That said, Remarkbox does store a unique Stripe Id on your behalf. This allows you to modify your payment preferences with our self service dashboards.
Marketing: Data Collection
Remarkbox sometimes uses Google Analytics on our marketing and landing pages.
Remarkbox stores a signed cookies in your web browser, on your computer, to keep your session logged into the service. These cookies will reside under one of our domains or subdomains, or our affiliate domains.
Most web browsers give you control to clear you cookies at any time.
The Remarkbox websites and services use log files. Information stored includes IP addresses, browser and operating system information, ISPs (Internet Service Providers), pages visited, referring pages, and timestamps. This information is used to analyze trends, administer, protect and secure the Services, track visitor movement in the aggregate, and gather broad demographic information for aggregate use. IP addresses, etc. may be linked to session, account, or user identifiers.
Who do we share your personal data with?
We never share your personal data with anyone without your explicit consent.
Based on the consent you've given, we may permit the following companies to use your personal data for processing, but only for the purposes you have given consent to:
- Remarkbox - For website comments and/or "frequently asked pages"
- Google Analytics - For website analytics
- Stripe - For payment processing and subscription management
What kinds of automated decision-making or profiling do we perform with your data?
We do not directly perform any kind of automated decision-making or profiling with your data, although some of our processors (such as Google or Stripe) may employ automated decision-making or profiling with the data they receive from us.
How long do we keep your personal data?
We retain personal data as long as it is necessary to provide the Services to you and others, subject to any legal obligations to further retain such information. Information associated with your account will generally be kept until it is no longer necessary to provide the Services or until you ask us to delete it.
When you ask for us to delete your personal data, it may take up to 30 days to fully delete that data from our systems.
Information about you that is no longer necessary and relevant to provide our Services may be de-identified and aggregated with other non-personal data to provide insights which are commercially valuable to Remarkbox, such as statistics of the use of teh Services.
What options do you have for managing your personal data with us?
If you are a natural person of the European Union, you have the right to request from Remarkbox:
- Access to the personal data Remarkbox has collected from you
- Rectification of the personal data Remarkbox has collected from you
- The erasure of the personal data Remarkbox has collected from you ("right to be forgotten")
- A restriction to the processing of the personal data Remarkbox has collected from you
- An objection to the processing of the personal data Remarkbox has collected from you
- An extract of your personal data for the purposes of data portability
- The withdrawl of your consent to Remarkbox's collection of your personal data
To exercise any of these rights, please contact us with you request.
In addition to these options, you also have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority, as outlined in the GDPR.
Where is my personal data processed?
The Services are operated in the United States. If you are located outside of the United States and choose to use the Services or provide information to us, you acknowledge and understand that your information will be transferred, processed, and stored in the United States, as it is necessary to provide the Services and perform the Terms of Service. United States laws may not be as protective as those in your jurisdiction.